Many years ago, we were hooked on a local fast food joint's buffalo wings. But they were deep fried and had a high skin-to-meat ratio that we weren't thrilled about. Also, they were not that filling for the price we were paying and our money situation was tight.
So we set off on a mission to come up with a substitute we could make at home.
After many alterations to the recipe and the sauce, this is the dish we now make regularly. We use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but you can substitute chicken breast, if you prefer.
Baked Buffalo Chicken
Ingredients for chicken:
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6 - 12)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (we normally use Italian flavored)
1 & 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning
Ingredients for buffalo sauce:
2 tablespoons Tapatio or Frank's Red Hot
2 tablespoons fat-free Italian dressing (we use whatever is on sale)
1 dash lime or lemon juice
Directions for cooking chicken:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix breadcrumbs and taco seasoning in a shallow bowl
3. Rinse chicken thighs (we normally do not pat dry, but you can if you prefer your chicken crispier)
4. Coat chicken thighs in breadcrumb mixture
5. Lie chicken thighs flat in an oven-proof dish (we use a 13 X 9 Pyrex baking dish)
6. Put chicken in oven and bake for 45-48 minutes. (45 minutes if cooking only 6 pieces of chicken, 48 if cooking 12)
Directions for making buffalo sauce:
1. Combine the hot sauce, Italian dressing and juice in a bowl.
Once the chicken is cooked, the sauce can either be spooned over the chicken (as pictured below) or all of the chicken can be tossed in the sauce in a separate bowl before serving.
We like to serve this dish with white or brown rice as well as a vegetable. Tonight we had ours with peas and some ranch dressing on top.