Friday, May 28, 2010

Bread and Butter Pickles

Bread and Butter Pickles

Memories are funny sometimes.

What you think you know, sometimes, you only think you know.

For years -- well, for at least a decade or more -- I thought my grandmother made bread and butter pickles.  But that isn't the case.

However, it did open a dialogue for a fun discussion we've been having about pickling stuff.

Also, after our discussion about the pickles, she found a recipe for me so I could make them.  It's a Bread and Butter Pickles recipe submitted by "CM" to Cooks.com.  So, although this recipe is CM's recipe, to me, it will always be something I make that reminds me of my grandmother.

It's also something that will eventually be a part of another project that she inspired.

But more on that later, when it's complete.

Bread and Butter Pickles, in the making:

The cucumbers, washed, and looking like they are lying in the sun after a dip in the water.  The way water beads off them always reminds me of my youth, when we used to use layers of baby oil to "tan" cook ourselves in the sun at the beach. 

Sliced and ready.....

For their rest in the salt with the onions.

All prepared, and jarred.

After making these pickles, I joked with my Mom that my blog should be named "What Not to Do" because I almost always mess something up, forget something, or hurt myself during my happy times in the kitchen.

No exception here.

What not to do:  Do not try to carry a full-to-the-brim pot of boiling hot water from the stove to the sink to drain the pot and get your lovely pickle jars out of the pot.  Lest you do what I did -- spill some hot water on your foot.  It's amazing how fast you can get out of a shoe while holding a pan of hot water though!  I think mine was off in record time.

Do: Use a pot big enough to leave room above the jars -- so, if you decide to move the pot, you can do so without spilling water on yourself.  Or use tongs to remove the jars.  Just don't do what I did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment