Friday, May 14, 2010

Chicken Tomato Curry (Take Two)

Up on the left hand side of my blog, the words "even when it doesn't turn out right" appear.  This is one of those times.

Over the years, I've made many different curries.  Different recipes.  Improvised by what sounded good to me, at the time, that night, based on what I had lying around.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not.

Last night, I decided to check out a curry posted by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Fizz Carr on bbc.com: Chicken Tomato Curry.

I had a number of tomatoes I needed to use for something and I had a hankering for curry.  So I gave this a whirl.  

Preparations began about 9 pm, but I'm not using this as an excuse for what comes later...I could have done it any time of day, but this is how it went down. 

Normally we have dinner long before 8 pm would chime.  So this was not a normal night.  For many reasons.  


My 20 year old son and I sat around talking most of the time while I made "Take One", which greatly extended the prep time.  Which was fine with both of us.  It could have burned for all we cared.  Food is good, but connection...the time where we both slow down long enough to "really" talk...can put us on a temporary hunger strike if that's what it takes.

Needless to say, much was discussed....

but I also knew many things were being learned by what was going on in the background while the discussion happened... the chopping....the measuring...the smile on his mother's face when she smelled the scent of fresh ginger...or ground coriander...




While I was still working on dinner, my son headed off to bed (don't worry, he had something else to eat) and my husband came home.  He knew I was going to be making curry, and I'm sure he expected it would have been long before finished.  But I told him it had another 30 minutes to go.  


This did not include the time for Step 8+.   


So when the 30 minutes were up, I told him dinner was ready (because the rice was ready) and dinner could be served....


But then I remembered about Steps 8+.


I threw the yogurt in while he mixed...


and then squeezed the half lime over the top....


Yes....


I made the yogurt curdle.  

 He ate two platefuls, despite knowing about the error...


He was still alive today to tell the tale...


And encouraged me to remake the same curry again. 




As Chris Brogan says, "It's easy to get discouraged"....


So, don't fret....

even if your curry curdles today...


Don't be afraid to give it another try tomorrow.  

















No comments:

Post a Comment