Sunday, May 30, 2010

Norma's Fruit Salad

Norma's Fruit Salad

This is a recipe I got from my Mom, who adapted it from her friend Norma's recipe.  I refer to it as Norma's Fruit Salad now when I make it, although I really don't know exactly how Norma makes hers.

Although there are no bananas in this version, my Mom and I usually put banana in ours at the time we serve it, but only in the portion we expect will be consumed during that meal.  That way, any leftovers will remain fresher, longer.

I imagine this salad is just one of those recipes that just gets adapted every time it is made, depending on what fruits are in season.

Today's version has two cups green seedless grapes, 1/4 cup blueberries from my bush out back, one diced up pineapple, 6 oz. pk. raspberries, 6 oz. pk. blackberries and 1 lb. strawberries (halved or quartered, depending on the size of the strawberry).

The fruit is then mixed with sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.  My Mom isn't sure how much she uses of each, and I've always just added random amounts the couple of times I've made it previously.

This time, I decided to try to measure it.  I ended up using only half of the mixture I mixed up, however.

So, in the end, I used 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmug and 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon.  

Mix the spices together.

Then sprinkle over the fruit...

and toss the mixture together, gently, especially if any of the fruit is very ripe (such as my raspberries were today).

This fruit salad usually lasts 1 to 3 days if kept in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container. 

Leftovers can be eaten as is, or spooned over yogurt or ice cream. 

My Mom said she likes hers added to her cereal, too.

The last time I made this, after the fruit was pretty soft and not looking so great - but still edible - I blended it up in the blender, added some red wine and fresh lemon and lime juice, poured it into a big, tall glass filled with ice and and called it "Instant Sangria."  :)   It was very good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment