Saturday, May 22, 2010

Shortbread Dulce de Leche Tea Pot Cookies

Shortbread Dulce de Leche Tea Pot Cookies

A few months ago, I was reading FoodMayhem, one of my favorite blogs.

This particular post was for Jessica's Almond Meringues with Dulce de Leche.  At the time, I thought perhaps I could make these cookies for tea with my grandmother, and filed the idea in the back of my head.

Then, about six weeks ago, I ran across a darling cookie cutter in the shape of a tea pot.  I wasn't sure at the time whether I'd use it to make cookies for tea or cookies for my mom (she collects tea pots).

Cookies for tea was winning though.

My original idea was to make sugar cookies with Jessica's Dulce de Leche as a filling.

However, this morning, another idea hit me smack in the forehead!  So, I emailed my grandmother and asked her if she was available for tea this afternoon.  She said she'd love to, and I couldn't have been happier.

Finally, I get to try this Dulce de Leche Jessica talked about.  Yippee!

But...

I did have one apprehension though, since this involved boiling a metal can full of milk for 90 minutes!!  I really wasn't sure if I believed that it wouldn't explode (lol!).  So, I did what anyone else would do, and stayed out of the kitchen except for the times I had to run in and check to be sure there was enough water to cover the can. :)  [here's a link to Jessica's post about how to make the Dulce de Leche.]

OK...

So - after my kitchen survived the boiling process - I got busy making the cookies I had decided on.

The recipe for the cookies was adapted from the Scotch Shortbread recipe in Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cook Book.  I love this cookbook and everything I've ever made from it.  It contains my absolute favorite Blueberry Muffin recipe, too.  I've made them a few dozen times!  It appears you can get the Scotch Shortbread recipe here, but you have to request it.

After the cookies were made, I "frosted" them with the Dulce de Leche, but they just didn't feel complete.

Then I dusted them with a very light layer of powdered sugar.

Hmmm...still not quite right!

Then I remembered I had some semi-sweet chocolate (the kind you cook with) in the cupboard.  I thought I'd put some cute chocolate curls on the cookies, but instead opted to just use a micro planer to put a little chocolate on them.

What do you think?

Pretty cute, huh!

I was so surprised.  Baking and I are hit-and-miss friends, but it seems we were on pretty good speaking terms today!  Yay! 

All that was left to do was pack up the tea cups and head to grandma's house for tea!  

My grandmother, my mom, my son, my sister and my niece all tried the cookies and said they were good. 

My heart was beaming with joy and doing a happy-dance at the same time!

Thank you, Jessica, for the inspiration.

And a special thank you to my grandmother for being my tea drinking buddy.  :)

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is delicioso!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have *never* thought to stuff lotus root like this!
    I sometimes get lotus filled steamed buns at a local hong kong-style bakery (which are really delicious), but I have never been so adventurous as to cook it in my own kitchen. This sounds delicious and is going in my recipe queue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to find a hong kong style bakery here in L.A. to try the type you mention. Now that I've tried them, I want to experience other ways of having them. :)

    I was just reading your blog :) So many interesting looking articles to read. I'm sure I'll be back many times checking everything out.

    Do you ever put beets on your burgers? My husband's from New Zealand, and he introduced me to them on burgers. I had never heard of it being used that way before, but I'm growing used to the flavor of them. I'll have to check out other ways to serve them on your blog. I'm sure you have a lot of great ideas!

    ReplyDelete