Friday, June 4, 2010

Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce

Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce

The recipe for this dish came from Elise's site, SimplyRecipes.com. It's called Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce.

As soon as I read the list of spices called for, I was hooked.

For a few months now, the smell of freshly ground coriander is my spice of choice.

For a minute, I forget everything around me and just inhale, slowly, breathing in its fragrance.

It stops me right in my tracks.  Every time.

Ok...

So -- usually -- the first thing I want to do with a recipe is tweak it somehow.  With curries (and vindaloos), however, I prefer to make them as closely to the original recipe as possible.  Both so I can enjoy as many variations as possible and also try to understand each cook's dish. 

Then, later, I try to take what I've learned and combine everything into one I can call my favorite. 

What I plan to take from Elise's recipe is the way she prepared the chicken.

There was just something beautiful about the way the chicken looked while it was cooking after sitting in her spice mixture.  I know I've cooked chicken that way before, seasoned with other combinations of spices, even similar ones....

...I just can't pinpoint what was different.

I just know that something just felt different, somehow.

At least to me.

It was awesome!

Anyhow, I will skip over analyzing it, and just enjoy the pleasure I got from the look of it.

I didn't get a photograph of it, and I think that's a good thing.  My photography skills are not good enough to capture what my eyes and brain recorded.  I'm sure it is because my camera doesn't have smell-a-vision enabled or something :) 

So, for now, I'll keep my memory right there, where I can enjoy it in its full glory.

Here are the photos I took.  Perhaps they will tempt you into going to Elise's site to try to make this dish yourself.  All three of us here enjoyed it, and I think many others will enjoy it as well.

The spices.

The chicken resting in the spices.  Plotting and waiting to blow my mind :)
The other preparations/set up.
And everything all put together, and plated, ready to eat.
I think this is the second dish I've made now from Elise's site.

The other being Focaccia Bread with Rosemary, which was very good and versatile.   

My grandmother said it made really good toast, and the three of us here enjoyed it with everything we paired it with that week.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds outright delicious but I am going to do my own thing! :) I will season with the spices just as you have. Make a paste of the aromatic - onions, peppers, basil - saute, then add the meat and continue to saute, then add the coconut milk :) Will let you know how it turns out :)

    I am so glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear :) Next time, I will try making it in the order you mentioned, and maybe add a little more heat.

    I'm glad you found my blog, too. I love your blog and your articles. The cheese and herb quick bread you posted about earlier this week sounded amazing!

    ReplyDelete