Saturday, June 12, 2010

Father's Day Potato Salad

Father's Day Potato Salad

I have two memories of horseradish from my youth.

One involves a game my brother and I played many times with another brother and sister duo we knew.  They were the kids of some of my parent's oldest friends. 

I don't remember all the rules of the game, but I believe it revolved around the game of Spades, played as teams.  Usually boys against the girls, of course.  We were kids :)

The losing team would have to eat whatever the other team chose from the contents of the kitchen.  It was always pretty straight forward, either a food or drink.  But, keep in mind, we were the siblings of the other side, so we knew each other pretty well, to say the least.  So we knew what to serve -- or we thought we did, anyway.

The game was pretty tolerable until the day they made one of us eat a tablespoon of straight horseradish.

That day sucked.

But we were too smart to let the boys know. :)

We, thereafter, convinced them that the thing we hated the most was yellow mustard (but we secretly didn't mind all that much).  

We would grimace and contort our faces to no end when we had to consume mustard from then on.  We could've won a Grammy, I'm sure.

Anything to avoid anything to do with eating any amount of horseradish, let alone an entire tablespoon of it.

You see, horseradish, for me at least, was something my father enjoyed and had tried to get me to try on many occasions.  Many times, long after I had given it a "try" and immediately hated it :)

Needless to say, I've slowly come around to it, after 30 something years.

I thought about calling this "Mickey's Potato Salad", but he never tried it.  And my Mom's always been the potato salad maker in the family.  For good reason.  Her's is very good.

So this is my Father's Day Potato Salad.

This is the first Father's Day I'll spend without my Dad, but I'll never spend another without this potato salad.

I created it just to remind me of him.

Perhaps you'll enjoy it, too  -- if you enjoy a little horseradish in your life.

Which I do now...

so long as it is in stoneground mustard form.  :)

Ingredients
Four red potatoes
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 green onions
1 hefty tablespoon stoneground mustard
1 hefty tablespoon mayonnaise

Directions
Scrub the potatoes with a vegetable brush.
Peel two of the potatoes, leave the skin on the other two. 
Cut potatoes into quarters.
Put potatoes into a large saucepan.
Cover potatoes with water, and add the two sprigs of rosemary to the water.
Bring water to a boil and boil the potatoes until they are just soft enough to poke with a fork; not quite as soft as you might make them for mashed potatoes.
Drain the water from the pan.
Remove the potatoes to a bowl or plate and allow them to cool.  Don't worry about removing the rosemary yet, just let it hang out with the potatoes.
Once the potatoes are cool, put them in the refrigerator for awhile (20-30 minutes).

Prepare the green onions.  Wash them, remove any loose skins and chop off the tops.  Then slice into rounds, as thick or thin as you prefer.

When the potatoes are cold, remove them from the refrigerator.
Remove the rosemary sprigs and any loose pieces.
Dice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.

Put the potatoes and the green onions into a bowl.

Add the stoneground mustard and mayonnaise.
Then,

take a minute to think about something that makes you smile inside,

and then mix everything together. 
My Dad always piled his plate high and let everything mix together. :)

2 comments:

  1. That Potato Salad sounds Good Cheryl!!! And I know your Dad would Love it!! :) let us know when you make it!! xo Donna xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Donna J :) It was good! I didn't know you like that kind of mustard. I can make it for Thursday if you want, in addition to the fruit salad? Or I can make it another time for another family get-together. Just let me know :) Looking forward to the party! xo

    ReplyDelete