Monday, June 7, 2010

Irish Potato Farls and Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary

Irish Potato Farls and Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary

Although my study schedule has been slowly ramping up over the past couple of weeks, it has finally reached the stage where near constant stirring is required to keep it from burning. :)

But, alas, I must eat, right?

And blog about it. :)

So, although my posts will be shorter and sweeter until the 23rd, I hope to still post several between now and then.

The inspiration for today's post came from a recipe for Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary that I found on Kalyn's Kitchen.  After looking at the recipe, I asked my husband what he thought he'd like to have with it and he said potatoes.  Not sure if it is because we both have some Irish roots, but we both have a hard time thinking about a stew without potatoes coming to mind.

This stew had no potatoes, and I didn't want to add any.

So I opted to make Irish Potato Farls instead.

In the past, when I've made farls, it has been Irish Soda Farls.  I make them as a dessert or a snack, not as part of a meal.

It was fun to make them as part of this dish, and they complimented the stew very well.

The stew had a wonderful flavor, notably of garlic, tomato and vinegar.  I did not add the capers, however, so I can't comment on those :)

I'd certainly make this stew again, but next time I'll keep to the shorter cooking times suggested for browning the meat or cut the meat into slightly larger pieces.

We enjoy using our slow cooker, too, especially in the summer when we don't want to heat up the house!

Here's a picture of our dinner, with the links to the recipes after.


Ireland's Eye's Potato Farls.  This is a really cool site that I will be returning to.  I want to make their Dublin Lawyer and Lemon and Vanilla Curd Cake, among others.  :)

Kalyn's Kitchen's Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary.

This is the second recipe I've made from Kalyn's Kitchen.  The other was recently when I made her Spicy Pinto Bean and Tuna Salad.  Both have been definite keepers!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed both those recipes from my blog, thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Kalyn, and for posting so many tempting recipes on your site. I'm sure we'll be back to find other recipes to try too! You have so many good ones on your site.

    ReplyDelete