Friday, June 4, 2010

Mince and Onion Pie

Mince and Onion Pie

What?!

A pie that isn't sweet?

Unheard of, or so I thought, at first.  I forgot about such things as Chicken Pot Pies, etc.   Which I love.

I'm not sure Mince Pies are one of things my husband misses most, but I do know his first stop when he goes home, to New Zealand, is to get a pie.  Even if it is 5 a.m. local time.

And, although I had made various versions of this pie before I went there myself, I knew it would be one of the first things I wanted to experience first hand.

So many things remind me of New Zealand, food wise and otherwise.  This pie reminds me of all those things.

This recipe is adapted from Edmonds Cookery Book (New Zealand's No. 1 Cookbook, Sure to Rise).  From what I gather, this is the go-to cookbook, at least for my husband when he wants to make something from home.

I make a much thicker pie, so my ingredients are normally double what Edmonds' calls for, or so.

My version from tonight:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cooked in a large saute pan:
1 tablespoon olive oil
Two onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1 1/2 lbs. minced meat (ground beef)
3 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup beef stock
2 tablespoons ketchup
Several healthy turns of fresh ground pepper

I follow their shortcrust pastry exactly as directed.  I'm sure you can find a good recipe for shortcrust pastry online.  If not, let me know in the comments and I'll give you more info.

Directions:

Heat oil and fry onion and garlic until browned.
 Add mince and cook until browned.

Add flour.
Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
Slowly add stock.
Bring everything to a boil, stirring constantly.

Add ketchup and pepper to taste.

Simmer gently for 10 minutes.

[prepare pastry while mince simmers]

Set aside mince mixture to cool.

Put half of pastry mixture inside pie plate. Don't worry if it doesn't look perfect.  It will taste great in the end.
Fill the pastry with the mince mixture.
Roll out other half of dough and place on top.

Then poke a couple of holes in the top crust to vent. 

Or, do like I do, and carve something random into the crust.  Tonight I opted for the Southern Cross, the constellation, which I saw in New Plymouth, New Zealand.  My points are a bit off and lopsided, but hopefully I will be forgiven for that :)

 Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Here's the pie, after baking:
Slice like you would a pie.

We normally eat ours with tomato sauce (ketchup) on top.

1 comment: