Sunday, June 13, 2010

Spiced Malt Vinegar

Spiced Malt Vinegar

This is a variation of the spiced vinegar mixture I normally use when making pickled onions for my husband, while basically following the recipe in Edmonds Cookery Book (New Zealand's No. 1 Cookbook, Sure to Rise).

I say "variation", but that's just a nice way of saying that "I really I messed it up this time."  Rather than just a normal change such as I used this ground spice for that whole spice, or what have you, or other variation in spices one might not notice....

instead.....

I used too much sugar.

Double the amount, to be exact.

This may not end up being a bad thing, but it certainly changes who this spiced vinegar is for, and what will be pickled by this mixture.

It won't be used to make onions for my husband, that's for sure.  Way too sweet for him.

But it might be perfect for me.

Amounts used:
1 litre malt vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon each whole black peppercorns, allspice, and cloves.
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 inch ginger root (which was halved, just to keep the spices separated, for the photo)

Everything gets boiled together for 10 minutes.

You can either strain this right away to get the chunky stuff out, or allow the mixture to sit for a day or two to allow the flavors to meld together.

Either way, be sure to strain it before using it to pickle anything -- or storing it for use later.

No comments:

Post a Comment