Thursday, June 3, 2010

Spicy Pinto Bean and Tuna Salad

Spicy Pinto Bean and Tuna Salad

I've had really good luck lately with seeing recipes I immediately want to have...right now!

This one reminds me of a sandwich I love that has many of the same ingredients.  Only this has no bread and includes one of my favorite beans...pinto beans!  Yay :) 

This salad comes from Kalyn's Kitchen's recipe for Spicy Pinto Bean and Tuna Salad with Peperoncini, Tomatoes and Parsley.

While I adapted Kalyn's recipe a bit, I prefer you go check out her site and get her original recipe.

I'll just mention what I did differently here, some by choice - some by necessity, because I didn't have certain ingredients on hand and, quite frankly, I just didn't want to wait until next week to try this.

First my pictures, then I'll break down what I did differently (for better or worse).

Some of the preparations:




My swaps/substitutions:

Instead of green Tobasco sauce (which is awesome), I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of jalapeno juice since I didn't have any of the green on hand.  And I used both the jarred peperoncini peppers and their juice in place of the fresh peppers.

I also cut down the olive oil to 1 1/2 tablespoons.  Since I am not following the South Beach Diet and may eat part of this on bread on Saturday, if there is any left, I thought it best to cut a few calories where I'd least notice them :)

Since I reduced the marinade a bit, I put it all in with the pinto beans in the first step of her directions.

I also didn't mix in the fresh parsley since I intend to have this tomorrow for lunch at work.  I'll bring the parsley with me and mix it in there... 

....grape tomatoes instead of cherry ones.  I prefer them, plus I already had them on hand.  

I also didn't add any salt. 

Or use Spike Seasoning.  Perhaps I'll try that next time I make this.

I'm sure I will be making variations of this pinto bean/tuna salad for years to come.  (Thanks Kalyn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment