Tuesday, July 13, 2010

BBQ Sirloin Sandwiches

BBQ Sirloin Sandwiches

While shopping for some red oak wood chips we're going to need for an upcoming Santa Maria-style cookout at our place, my husband purchased some wine barrel wood chips.  Afterwards, he was inspired to make these barbecue sirloin sandwiches.  A simple dinner that allowed us time to sit around the grill -- talking, listening to music and enjoying all the birds our neighbor's new bird feeder coaxed into visiting.

Most of my input into this dinner occurred a couple of weeks ago when I put the rub together and prepared the sauce.  So I just put my feet up, so to speak, and relaxed. 

Here are some pictures of our sandwiches.  His had barbecue sauce, but the picture was taken before he put it on.
Mine (above), which - as usual! - has a lot of barbecue sauce, and a decent amount of mayo on it.  [Why mayo?  I have no idea.  It's like a pregnancy urge thing without the pregnancy!  Ever since I cut my dairy intake to less than 2%, my interest in mayo has increased.  I'm not sure why this is.  I think I've eaten more mayo in the past three weeks than I have in the three years prior.  If anyone knows why this might be -- please comment below.  Sincerely, it baffles me.  Much like my relatively sudden desire for stone ground mustard.] 

We both chose to use the Kansas City Classic Barbecue Sauce for our sandwiches, which were really good.  The meat was very tender, and we were both very happy with how it turned out.  The wine barrel smoke was definitely noticeable and added an interesting flavor.  We also thought the rub and the sauce went very well together.

Below is a semi-brief run down of how he cooked the steak (as relayed to me). 

Meat used: three sirloin steaks

Whacked with a meat tenderizer (to tenderize and so the rub would penetrate more)

Rubbed liberally with the Rendesvous-style rub (you'll have to scroll down to find the rub in the post)

Put the steaks in a marinating dish (which is covered), and then put them in the fridge for a couple of hours.


The charcoal was started and allowed to burn until medium heat and then arranged so the steaks would be cooked indirectly.

The wine barrel oak chips and some water were put in a foil packet, which was mostly covering the chips, and then placed directly on the coals.  [I will try to remember to take pictures next time]

On the grill, an open foil pocket was placed, with about 1/4 cup water inside. 

The steaks were put on.

Put lid over grill with the vent open, so it was smoking gently.


Cooked 20 minutes, then turned steaks over.


Poked hole in foil packet containing the chips so water drained out and opened packet up more, so mostly opened.


Water packet on grill still had water on it, so he left it.  Otherwise he would have added more.


Cooked another 10 minutes, with the lid put back on.


Then he removed the water pack from the top of the grill and broke open the wood chip packet and scattered the wood chips over the coals.  Then he turned the steaks again, put the lid back on and allowed the steaks to cook for another 5 minutes.


Removed steak from grill.  


Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes, then cut it for the sandwiches.

Mine was gone in about 2.5 seconds, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment