Friday, July 2, 2010

Cabbage Komatsuna Roasted Negi Salad with Mustard Slaw Dressing

Cabbage Komatsuna Roasted Negi Salad with Mustard Slaw Dressing

Please forgive the odd name of this one. I wasn't sure what to call it by the time it morphed a few times.

This was meant to be just some salad where I'd use up some odds and ends, and not something I would have necessarily posted about.

But...

Then I opened the baby spinach.  The kind that is pre-washed, packaged, etc.  It was bad.  Let's just leave it at that :)   Needless to say, the spinach was off the menu.

....open the fridge.

....spot the cabbage.  The cabbage meant for something else, but it's what I have, so I say, "Batter up!"


Now I have cabbage and komatsuna.

And the other fixins' I planned to use: red bell pepper, negi (which was grilled on the bbq before being chopped for the salad), tomatoes from our garden, and Vietnamese Style Pickled Carrots.

With all my heart and soul, I want to make this into a coleslaw (even though it was all wrong, at least to me).  I refrain, not just because the ingredients are wrong, but I just don't want to pour hot liquid over the Komatsuna!  I want everything to be as crisp as possible.

So I decided to make a Mustard Slaw Dressing and let it cool before using it.

This recipe is adapted from this Mustard Coleslaw recipe from bbq.about.com.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown (spicy) mustard
1/2 cup sour cream (I used Tofutti, mistaking it for a sour cream substitute.  Still learning to be non-dairy [not by choice].  Sour cream would have been heavenly in this dish.)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Add everything to sauce pan.  Stir continuously until boiling.  Remove from heat.  Waited 30 seconds, then moved dressing to a bowl to cool.

Now, before you hear me say how incredible I thought this dressing was, it is not for everyone, I'm sure.  I put a reasonable amount on the salad before it was mixed.
And it was good!

But, after having some, I went back and added more.  And, while I loved it, it was a tad bit overwhelming...but...

I still loved it.  I just couldn't eat it as quickly :)

So if you make this, start by adding a little...and add more if you want more.

Most times, I want the vegetables to shine in my salads.  I want them all to have a voice.

This dressing definitely has a voice that will be heard above all if you use it without care.  But sometimes those veggies need to stand in the background and let the dressing take center stage.  This is one of those times.

The crunch.  The texture.  Of the veggies shines through, to be sure.

But this dressing steals the show.  And, I, for one, was glad it did!

My husband enjoyed it too.  He was glad I cut the yellow mustard in half and used brown (spicy) mustard in its place.  He said he wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much if it was all yellow mustard.

Here's our dinner, in its entirety.

This my plate.  Not much steak, mostly salad.  As usual :)

But I added this picture so I could note that we used one of the bbq mop/sauces I made over the weekend for this steak.  This one was Texas BBQ Juice.  Although this one was tasty and we enjoyed it, it was a step down from my husband's normal marinade flavor, so we likely won't make it again.  I believe the recipe is for brisket, which is not what we cooked.  So we will try it for brisket sometime and see how it fares.

That said, I want to note that two sauces I made from the AmazingRibs.com site have been BIG winners here so far.  We made BBQ chicken the way my husband normally does, using the Kansas City Classic Barbecue Sauce, in the marinade and as a sauce,  My husband and I both liked it.  The surprise was how much my son loved it though.  I didn't adjust the recipe at all, leaving it much more vinegar-y than I might have.  So I was very happy when my son loved it anyway.  I liked it less sugary, too.

The other sauce we made was one that I didn't post about.  When I did my BBQ sauce marathon last weekend, I meant to make Bayou Bite, but I didn't have enough red bell pepper at the time.  BUT, I had bought the shrimp to make it, so after making my post, I went back to the store just to get more bell pepper.  Yes, after making bbq sauces/mops/rubs all weekend, I went back to the store so I could make one more :)

And....

I am SO glad I did.

The Bayou Bite recipe was amazing!!  I have referred people to that recipe on Craig's site all week!

We are not a big shrimp eating family here, but we ate a lot more than normal that night.  I completely credit the sauce and recommend it to anyone who enjoys the flavor of roasted red bell pepper and some heat in their sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment