Saturday, July 10, 2010

Norwegian Toast

Norwegian Toast

One of the cookbooks which has been handed down in my family is Rosemalers' Recipes.  This book was put together for fund raising purposes by the Rosemalers for the Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum. While the copy I have was printed in 1990, which doesn't seem that long ago, it's already become a family heirloom, and has changed hands at least a couple of times.  Inside the book are handwritten notes regarding how some of my great-aunt's recipes varied from the ones written in the book.

One of the recipes in the book is for Norwegian Toast, which I made today to take to my grandmother tomorrow.  She's had some dental work done lately, so she can't eat all the wonderful things she enjoys.  I hope that this will work out for her, after she's able to soften it up by dunking it in her coffee.

I adapted the recipe, and cut it in half.

1/2 cup butter (room temperature), 3/4 sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.

I mashed and blended the butter together with the sugar before adding everything else and blending it together with a spoon.  Blend until everything is fully incorporated and no flour remains on the side of the bowl.  Then form it into a long loaf.

I wasn't exactly sure how the loaf was meant to be formed, so I guessed.

This is how I formed the loaf, and I like the way it came out.

Move the loaf to an ungreased cookie sheet and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Note: The dough is very sticky at this point, so be sure to put additional flour on your hands before trying to move it.

After the 30 minutes pass, remove the loaf from the oven and turn the oven up to 375 degrees to preheat the oven for the next baking step.

Slice the loaf.  [I did this immediately after removing the loaf from the oven with only minor consequence.  A couple of slices suffered a little cracking.  I didn't mind, but you might want to wait a few minutes first.]

Dip the slices into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.  I used approximately 1 cup of sugar to 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.  Adjust according to your preference.


Lie the slices back down on the cookie sheet.

Put the slices back into the oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove the slices from the cookie sheet to a wire rack, then allow to cool.

Not only is this toast yummy, it smells wonderful while cooking!

2 comments:

  1. This makes me think of Biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing when I was making it. I've never made my own biscotti though, so I am not sure how soft/dry it is fresh/homemade, but the texture of this toast is softer (in comparison to the commercial biscotti we get here)--- even after a few days. It doesn't really crunch like biscotti. Perhaps it would if I cooked it longer? I wasn't really sure, so I just followed the suggested cooking times in the book.

    There are a few recipes in the book for tebrod (tea bread) that sound like they will taste more like biscotti though, as they have almonds and/or almond extract in them. I plan to try one of those this weekend and see what the texture is like. Do you make your own biscotti? I'd love to give that a try sometime!

    ReplyDelete