Saturday, August 14, 2010

Veggie Bites

Veggie Bites

I'm not sure where or how I was inspired to make this snack, but I do know they have been in my head for a week or two.  I think I was having a craving for my sister's seven layer dip, but I'm really not sure.

I thought this would make a fun snack for us to enjoy while we waited for food to cook on the barbecue.

It would have, I think.

But they never made it outside.

They were eaten almost as fast as it took me to put them on the plate!

The veggies we used were cucumbers, radishes, carrots and zucchini.  [The avocado was used to make some guacamole.]

The veggies were sliced.

The avocado was smashed and mixed with a little black pepper, lemon juice and a bit of Tapatio (hot sauce).

Then I opened a can of chili beans and drained most of the liquid from them.  I pureed the beans in my food processed.

Everything was then stacked as follows (from the bottom up): cucumber, bean puree, carrot, guacamole, radish, bean puree and zucchini on top.

I made these using some of the thicker veggies I could find, but I think they would be better a little smaller in diameter.

We ate these stacks by putting the entire stack in our mouth at once.

They were good, and I especially liked the way the flavor changed as I was eating them.  The flavors each seemed to take their turn in the spotlight. 

I will definitely be making these again, substituting different veggies and other things such as salsa, hummus, cream cheese, etc., depending on what we have on hand, who will be eating them and what I think they might enjoy.

If you give these a try, I'd love to hear your substitutions!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment